PRIVACY AND DATA PROTECTION POLICY
We at Barbosa, Raimundo, Gontijo, Camara e Zanotta Advogados (“BRZ Advogados”, “Firm” or “we”) understand that it is essential that we bring awareness of our processing of the personal data belonging to the users of our website, to our clients, be they natural persons or legal entities, and to the representatives, partners or any other person associated with said legal entities (“Data Holder”, “Holder” or “you”).
Who is the data controller?
BRZ Advogados will be the controller of your personal data in the context of the attorney-client/potential client relationship. For the purposes of the applicable legislation, the controller is responsible for the decisions relating to the processing of personal data.
What data is processed?
To the extent permitted by applicable law, BRZ Advogados may process personal data as described below:
- Identification, qualification and contact details: full name; address; date of birth; nationality; identification document(s) data (such as ID, tax ID, driver’s license, BAR number, whatever the case), e-mail address; telephone number;
- Academic and professional data: company for whom you work; occupation; job title; educational background.
In rendering our legal services, taking into account the support we provide to clients in the most diverse fields and practices of law, BRZ Advogados may have access to and process a wide array of personal data belonging to you or even personal data belonging to third parties in any one given case (e.g., the other party of a lawsuit), depending on the object or reason of said action. Some examples of personal data that BRZ Advogados may come to process in providing its services are:
- Registration information: Name, tax ID (CPF), ID, address, and telephone number;
- Financial information: wages; transaction history; credit; sales; assets; debt certificates; loans;
- Family information: family structure; relationships;
- Information contained in proceedings: date of birth, nationality, place of birth, age, marital status, country, address, driver’s license, electoral card, military draft information, occupation, educational background, languages spoken, professional registration, tax information (PIS/PASEP, CTPS, NIS, NIT, IEC).
The personal data mentioned above are only processed in certain cases and when necessary to achieve the purposes mentioned in this Privacy and Data Protection Policy, especially for the provision of legal services.
BRZ Advogados may collect this information in several ways. This personal data may be collected directly from the Data Holder, they may be obtained from an associate of the Data Holder (for example, the company with whom you associate yourself), or that may be accessed from public sources. Regardless of the source of the data, our processing of it shall be governed by this Privacy and Data Protection Policy and you may contact us at email@example.com.
Which purposes do we take into consideration when processing your data?
In general, we process your personal data for customer service and for the provision of legal services in an both in counsel and litigation, including but not limited to:
- Drafting of, reviewing or negotiating contracts;
- Performance of or participation in legal due diligences so as to verify whether a company is compliant with the Brazilian legislation and risk analysis;
- Management of investigations, indictments, administrative procedures, administrative, judicial or arbitration proceedings, which includes measures such as reviewing and drawing up motions, following up on the proceedings, among others;
- Analysis of new products, structures, cases or any situations presented by the client in order to draw up a response to queries, memoranda and legal opinions;
- Drafting of mandatory documents pursuant to the Brazilian legislation;
- Liaison in the relationship of the client with government authorities and bodies;
- Holding training seminars;
- Holding meetings, video conferences or telephone conferences for the discussion of general issues;
- Obtaining the necessary licenses, authorizations and permits;
- Assistance in the participation in tender or invitations to bid;
- Coordination of mergers and acquisitions, of capital markets and financial markets, of investments in companies in general.
We may also process your personal data for the purposes of formalizing the contract with BRZ Advogados, for billing and invoicing if you as a client are a natural person or the representative of a legal entity. In addition, we may process your personal data to maintain our relationship with you by means of:
- Sending institutional communications, memos or newsletters with topics of your interest and invitation to events;
- Organization of events, including the management of subscribers, save the date communications, reminders and thanks. To ensure your easier access and comfort in the event, BRZ Advogados may ask if you are disabled or restricted in mobility;
- Conducting client satisfaction surveys and asking for feedback on our services and initiatives.
From time to time, BRZ Advogados may refer your personal data so that domestic and global legal publications contact you so that you may evaluate and reference our services to such publications, as well as to companies specialized in legal rankings.
With whom can we share the data?
BRZ Advogados may share your personal data with:
- Software providers, cloud hosting services and other information technology services for the purposes of managing your relationship with our office, registration, documentation and other measures;
- Collaborators, experts, legal opinion givers, associated firms (both domestic or otherwise), auditors, accountants, translators and financial institutions so as to assist in the provision of legal services pursuant to the client’s requirements;
- Domestic or global legal publications;
- Regulatory bodies and other authorities, such as, but not limited to, the Administrative Council for Economic Defense (CADE – Conselho Administrativo de Defesa Econômica), the National Health Surveillance Agency (ANVISA – Agência Nacional de Vigilância Sanitária), the Securities and Exchange Commission (CVM – Comissão de Valores Mobiliários) and the National Oil, Natural Gas and Biofuels Agency (ANP – Agência Nacional do Petróleo, Gás Natural e Biocombustíveis).
International data transfer
Depending on the requirements, if necessary BRZ Advogados may transfer your personal data to service providers located abroad, including cloud service providers. Furthermore, BRZ Advogados may share your personal data with associated firms worldwide.
When your personal data is transferred to a location outside Brazil by BRZ Advogados, the Firm shall take the appropriate measures to ensure the adequate protection of your personal data in accordance with the requirements of the applicable data protection legislation, including with the execution of the appropriate data transfer contracts with third parties regarding your personal data, where necessary.
For how long can this data be retained?
Data are kept or stored:
- for as long as law requires;
- until the end of the processing of personal data, as mentioned below;
- for as long as necessary to preserve the legitimate interest of BRZ Advogados, as the case may be;
- for as long as necessary to safeguard the regular exercise of the rights of BRZ Advogados in judicial, administrative or arbitration proceedings. Therefore, we will process your data, for example, during the applicable statute of limitation periods or for as long as necessary for compliance with legal or regulatory obligations.
Processing of personal data shall end in the following cases:
- when the purpose for which personal data collected from the Data Holder is achieved and/or the personal data collected is no longer necessary or relevant so as to attain such purpose;
- when the Data Holder is in their right to request the termination of such processing and the deletion of their personal data and so proceeds; and/or
- when there is a legal order to do so.
In these termination cases of the processing of personal data, except in the events established by applicable law or by this Privacy and Data Protection Policy, personal data shall be deleted.
Rights of the Holder
You have the following rights to your data:
- confirmation of processing;
- correction of incomplete, inaccurate or outdated data;
- anonymization, blocking or disposal;
- information on its sharing;
- information on the possibility of not giving consent and the consequences of doing so;
- revocation of your consent, in case we have so requested from you; and
- right to petition the National Data Protection Agency (ANPD – Agência Nacional de Proteção de Dados). There are circumstances that may restrict the exercise of certain rights under law, such as, for example, when the disclosure of such information may reveal any trade secret of BRZ Advogados or due to the fulfillment of any legal/regulatory obligation or to allow for the defense of BRZ Advogados in any judicial, administrative or arbitration proceeding.
The Holder may exercise such rights by contacting the firm’s data officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Data protection and security
We are committed to the security of your personal data and take reasonable precautions to uphold said protection. BRZ Advogados employs security systems and technical, physical and managerial procedures widely adopted by the market to protect your data.
Cookies and emails
We reserve the right to send e-mails to our clients, partners and third parties who have in any way relations with the Firm, with the aim to provide information that we believe is of interest to you, however, you may, at any time, request to unsubscribe from these newsletters.
We hereby alert all clients that we will never send electronic messages requesting confirmation of personal information by e-mail. For this reason, we are not responsible for any fraudulent electronic communications that collect your personal data (phishing). Regarding emails received, we recommend that you check the content of any email before visiting any internet address or clicking on any link. Be wary of emails whose subject and sender are suspicious or whose content feels strange, messages that have grammar mistakes or even faulty photographs and logos.
After your first visit to our website, we may change the cookies we use. In any event, this policy will always allow you to know what is being collected and to what end while making sure you have the right to deactivate cookies. Therefore, given the possibility that this policy may be reviewed and changed, we recommend that you access it from time to time.
Third party websites
As a feature of our website, we may provide links to other websites. BRZ is not responsible for these websites and their content, it also does not share, subscribe, monitor, validate or accept how such websites or content storage tools collect, process and transfer your personal data.
We recommend that you refer to the respective privacy policies of such websites to properly educate yourself about their processing of your personal data.
Privacy and Data Protection Policy Update